Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Thursday, August 4, 2011

Open concept Vs Galley Kitchens, A guest post

Today is very exciting for me & my little blog as I am hosting my first ever guest blogger!
So please extend a HUGE welcome to the lovely Jennifer!!!

Hi all! I’m Jennifer and I write for Arcadian Home, a site that specializes in home decor, home accessories, and decor trends around the world. I've been writing about home decor since graduating university and have loved it ever since. I'm addicted to patterned fabrics, Jonathan Adler, chaise lounges, old doors, milk glass jars, antiques, and chandeliers. I adore A Dream House for Trish, and I'm honoured to contribute a blog to Trish's fabulous website on vastly different kitchens styles (that I equally love).



Open-concept kitchens versus galley kitchens - which one reigns supreme? Each style has its own home decor pros and cons, and when designed properly, they can each be a wonderful addition to a house. From long, functional spaces to airy sprawling eateries, here's what we love about both open-concept and galley kitchens.

Kitchen Ideas


Whitewashed spaciousness via The Lennoxx


An open-concept kitchen that occupies the entire end of a home takes full advantage of the room's configurations, with a large island in the centre that doubles as a work and eating area.

Kitchen Ideas


A mix of materials via decor8


A stylish contemporary kitchen with both stainless steel and wood works well in this open space - this is a perfect example of where a galley kitchen may falter.


Kitchen Ideas


Smart showcase via Decorpad


Instead of hiding items like charger plates and table decorations, this open-concept kitchen utilizes shelving instead of cabinetry, with three oversized pendant lights perched above an island.

Kitchen Ideas


Lovely with an L via Elle Decor


An open-concept kitchen built into the corner of a house, like this classic country cuisiniere, takes full advantage of the L-shaped layout, with high ceilings and a window that makes the view look like wall art.

Kitchen Ideas


Sunshine and lemons via Kitchen Design


Bright yellow is always a lively hue for a kitchen, and we love that this galley kitchen is open at both ends, with the entryway on one side and a double-pane window on the other.

Kitchen Ideas


Slate and purple via Beautiful Kitchens


Similar in design to the last entry, this galley kitchen opens into a backyard. The soft grey and bright fuchsia backsplash provide a striking contrast.

Kitchen Ideas


A touch of turquoise via Kitchen Design Ideas


A galley kitchen in soft tones, such as light wood, can be amped up with a colourful detail, like simple square turquoise tiles.

Kitchen Ideas


Form and function via Canadian House and Home


A galley kitchen such as this, which opens onto a casual eating area, is both functional as well as visually appealing, with modern cabinetry and frosted glass doors to add to the home decor.



Content provided by Arcadian Home Decor, a site that specializes in top quality home accessories at extremely affordable prices.  If you like this post, be sure to stop by the Arcadian Lighting blog and let us know you saw us here at A Dream House for Trish!

Thank You so much Jennifer for taking the time to write such a fabulous post & provide me with a little more inspiration for my dream house & also for being my first ever guest!!!

CHEERS
Trish xxx

6 comments:

Laura said...

hi trish, lots of gorgeous stuff here!!! hope you are having a great saturday and weekend!! hugs from laura xxx

Anonymous said...

I loved ur house and images that u issued in ur blogs..
Wow! super! wonderful! I loved ur Interior Decoration of houses..
Houses in Australia

Georgy said...

What a good read and enjoyed all the pictures. I myself am a big fan of the open plan kitchen with the large island bench but understand too you need to go with what suits the space. Good to see different examples. Thanks G

Melinda said...

I always prefer an open plan kitchen, but often space dictates which you have. Our architect tried to convince me to do a U-shaped kitchen because of our space limitations, but I insisted I had to have an island so it will be interesting to see how it works. That image from Decorpad with the three large industrial grey pendant lights is fabulous haven't seen that one before. Love it!

Simple Daisy said...

oh my....I love all of your inspiration photos!!! I love the white kitchen via Elle Decor the best! Just dreamy:)

Natasha in Oz said...

Wow, what a stunning collection of kitchen images. I so wish I was blogging when I was designing my kitchen;it would have made my life so much easier!

I just wanted to let you know I'm hosting a give away at my blog and I thought you might be interested. My last give away happened around the time of my bloggy nervous breakdown so I thought it was time for another one! Hope you'll swing by and read my guest poster!

Thanks for the great post Jennifer!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

AddThis Smart Layers