Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Thursday, October 21, 2010

Vintage Camera Collection



One of the things i have started to develop an interest in over the past couple of years  is photography .
 Some time in the future I would really love to invest in a decent digital SLR camera & perhaps a basic course, on how to get the most from my camera, with a few basic skills for fab snaps thrown in.


Technology has made taking photos & editing them so easy & there really is NO limit on how many you take, in search of that perfect shot.  In the past with film & developing costs really limited your choices, not to mention the waiting time whilst your film was off at the developers!!

I have been very privileged in being the proud recipient of my in laws first ever cameras.
They had come on a little shopping adventure to Maitland Markets where I was about to buy a vintage camera & kindly offered me theirs instead.
This worked well for all of us, I had a new decorator item that had a little family history & they had someone to look after an item from thier childhood that was dear to them!

These 2 cute little box browning camera's are my new prized posessions.
My mother & father in law both got these as gifts when they where only 13 & 14 yrs old, in the 1940's.
They have been kept in their cases  & carefully stored so they are in pristine condition.
I just love them & feel very privileged to be the new custodian!
Whilst shopping at Maitland Markets on the weekend I came across this cute little vintage Kodak camera, circa 1910 & I thought it would sit perfectly with the box Browning's & complete my little collection!


What do you think? don't they make a perfect trio!!

Maitland Markets are one of Australia's largest markets & they are 5minutes from my home. I would have to say they are a thrifters dream. There are so many stalls full of antiques & pre loved items, if chinoiserie is your passion, then these are the markets for you, the choices are endless, not to mention all of the clever arts & crafts plus the rip off designer stalls!!



I'm not sure where I found these images but I love the rustic display of these vintage cameras!


I enjoy  seeing a few old treasures mixed in with the new, shiny things. I think it adds a little character & warmth to a room, especially if there is a story behind the item.
 Sometimes the story of how you came across a vintage item even makes it fun!!

Do you have any family treasures handed down thru the generations?









8 comments:

Mimi said...

Love the trio. I studied B & W Photography many years ago, it is so rewarding. I recommend doing a course! Mimi xx

Georgy said...

Your collection of cameras look great together and what a wonderful family keepsake. I too love photography, one of my prized possesions is my digital SLR which enables me to take so many great photos of the kids. G

Raine and Sage said...

I too am very interested in photography. How lucky to inherit those beauties. Congrats! x

Jenny said...

Hi Trish, I have a very similar box browny camera that used to be Dads. I grabbed it years ago, knowing I would display it somewhere one day. ;-)

GoldenValley50 said...

I would love to be able to take beautiful photos. My photography skills lead a lot to be desired particularly when I compare them to the amazing photos I see daily in blogland. How someone can make a pumpkin look like a piece of art in a frame is a mystery to me? Love your little trio. How lucky are you to have such wonderful markets on your doorstep. I am so envious. ;)Sharyne

Kelly said...

Lovely photos!

Gutsy Living said...

It sounds like you have two passions: becoming a modern day photographer, and collecting antique cameras. I preferred the days when we kept all our photos in albums rather than on our computers. I rarely look at them on the computer. Quite sad. Good luck with your photography.

NATURAL MODERN INTERIORS said...

HI Trish, I love photography and would you believe it I am actually going on a photographers course this weekend in the Gold Coast Hinterland. Will let you know how it goes. As for family treasures, I look after my grandparents recipes books for making home made fruit wine. I love tasting my grandmothers wine every time I visit England. So far I have not made any here in Australia but plan too in the future when we have more space. Have a great weekend, Lisa

AddThis Smart Layers