Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Saturday, October 23, 2010

Christmas tree inspiration

So with a bit over a month left until we decorate the Christmas tree, we always do this on December 1st, I'm looking for a little inspiration.
Every year I like to have a bit of a theme or colour scheme in mind.
Last year I let the kids go nuts & do what ever they wanted & I must say it was a bit of a Hodge podge tree( no offense kids!)
My family like to tease me & call me the "tinsel police" ,because, I like the tree to be perfect, so last year I stepped back & let them go for it.

Lets just say.... It nearly killed me!!!

I will be having a little control say in the decorating this year
Bwah ha ha ha ha!!!


The moons & stars on this gorgeous tree are actually baked from cookie dough. 
 I don't think I would like to hang actual cookies from my tree for a month, here in Australia I would fear an ant infestation would feast upon my tree, or worse still I may end up with mice, but if you pop on over to
Jenny has a fabulous idea that would give you a similar look, that isn't edible!


Now this one really ticks a few boxes for me....pardon the pun....it is decorated with clock faces.
I do have a little clock addiction, so I think something like this could be fun & VERY ME!!!
Does any one know where I could come across some little clock faces ?


So So So pretty !!!

The above images are all from country living & there are many more to inspire you.


This beautiful tree comes complete with a How-To article here
Apparently over sized decorations are the key to a glamorous looking tree!

10_beautiful_christmas_tree_decorating_ideas_0.jpg

I'm not sure if its the tree I love in this home or the decor, what a beautiful room to relax in!

10_beautiful_christmas_tree_decorating_ideas_1.jpg

& another simple tree in a beautiful room...

10_beautiful_christmas_tree_decorating_ideas_3.jpg

a few well placed pops of red to get into the Christmas spirit & co ordinate the room with the tree,
Very nice!!
I just love the giant snow flakes hanging from the ceiling.

10_beautiful_christmas_tree_decorating_ideas_6.jpg

lots of bright colours make this tree look very cheery & bring a little whimsy to the room!!!

10_beautiful_christmas_tree_decorating_ideas_9.jpg
Images from Design of house

I couldn't resist this image as it has ghost chairs in it & mini ghost chairs!
  You know how I dream of one day having the space to be a proud owner of a "Ghost chair"


How will you decorate for Christmas this year, will there be a theme, a set colour scheme or just a pile of kid fun?

20 comments:

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

These ideas are so much fun. A few years ago, I got an additional tree. The children decorate theirs however they want with their own decorations & then I have a "dressy" mom-type tree in the front room of the house. Everyone's happy!

Warmly, Michelle

Life in the Country Lane said...

Some gorgeous festive images Trish. I have the pretty image with the chair on file also. My tree last year was a large branch I painted persimmon (same as our feature wall in kitchen/living area) then put on white and silver tin hearts and birds and silver balls and bead garlands. Very quirky and not the regular 'tree' and created many comments. This year it will be white I think. I love the clock idea, and making something your own, not the regular tree with tinsel. Hope to see pics on what you come up with.
Rebecca x

Georgy said...

I like you Trish love to be in charge of the Christmas tree and at this point I am still allowed to be but don't think it will be long before my daughter wants more of a say. I love the first image the most, big fan of red and silver for the tree. I keep this in the lounge and then in the family area I can go with my other favoruite colour of blue with silver. I love this time of year and can't wait to decorate the tree. G

Ange said...

Hi Trish, sorry I've been a bit absent lately. I've got some catching up to do.
You've just reminded me that I went a little overboard at the post-Christmas sales last year and bought more than my share of tree decorations. Now I'm trying to remember what I got and how to dress the tree. I think it's my turn. The kids did last year (I got tooth ache from grittng my teeth every time I looked at the tree).
Angex

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

I cant belive christmas is almost upon us! I havent really thought of a theme this year, although our tree is usually very colourful!Love those images and the mini ghost chairs are the cutest! xx

melli said...

i love Christmas so excited to be searching for out fresh Xmas tree once again..this year i have Turquoise theme of course with white & pink.cant wait.but now i love your gorgeous images you posted i'm confused again,so pretty especially the 5th and 7th WOW love it.enjoy your weekend luvy xx

brismod said...

My theme is to make sure the two year old doesn't pull the tree to bits. I'm a sucker for a beautifully dressed tree, so I loved the images you posted, Trish. xx

Noosa Beach House said...

Oh they are so beautiful! I'm doing a white beachy thing this year with starfish and shells but am also thinking we might do an upstairs tree (kids) and a downstairs tree (mine, all mine bwahahaha!). Cheers x

Tara said...

Hi Trish,lovely pics..This year I'm going for an all white theme with little chandelier crystals hanging..My poor boys, they'll probably die..But my motto is :Who ever puts the tree up has decoration rites and somehow that always seems to be me..xx

Laura said...

So pretty trish!! How cute are the mini ghost chairs!!! I think you might find some clock faces on etsy. I am sure I have seen some there before. Otherwise; you might be able to try the graphics fairy and if she has clock face images, you could maybe print them out and attach them to some thick card, or in bunnings and craft shops, they have blank wooden circular decorations... Just a thought...
hugs, Laurac xxxx

Blogs said...

We cannot wait...it's the best time of year....even though i'd like something along these lines...i'm good just decorating a little something:)those chairs are too funny! love em!:)

Anna White said...

Yikes...Christmas trees already...cant believe its just around the corner really...Ok..so last year I did a tiffany type of Christmas tree..now youve got me thinking..what my theme will be this year? Hmmm..... Love all of these examples...Isnt it fun to deck out a tree...cant wait! Hope you are well lovely x

Jenny said...

Hi Trish, I love decorating at Christmas... Thank you for the kind mention about my crafty decorations. I am with Laura and your clock idea. I am sure you could print some images out and glue them onto some wooden circles somehow? I look forward to seeing some pictures of your tree when decorated by either you or the kids! ;-)

Liz said...

I love love love the skinny tree (third from the top)! If I didn't think the cats would wreck it all to hell, I'd have something like that in a heartbeat. Alas, I'll have to stick with a topiary.

Beautiful House said...

Hi Trish, gorgeous pics. I love choosing the tree. I believe its my turn this year (and the next), it has to be just right.

Dream House Trish said...

Looks like we are all xmas tree control freaks, so back off kiddies & get your own tree, us crazy design obsessed mums are on a dcorating mission...bwahahahahah!!!!

Millie said...

Oh Trish, I haven't given the Chrissie thing a thought yet - so you make me feel very inadequate! Although for the first time in ages I've been given the year off. Son #5's gorgeous girlfriend wants to do it all this year - YAY!!
Millie ^_^

Tina said...

Hi Trish...I LOVED this post, I am such a Christmas fan:) Gorgeous pics and I love your clock face idea. My friend Julie had some gorgeous vintage clock face ornaments in her Etsy store EAB Designs a little while back. She doesn't have any listed at the moment, but she is so sweet, so maybe convo her, or visit her blog under the same name... Here are a couple of links for the Graphics Fairy as well...
http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/2007/09/clock-face-with-roman-numerals.html

http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/2007/08/clock-face.html

You might be able to print them out on vintage style paper or something? Hope this helps ~ Tina xx

Raine and Sage said...

We went a little OTT with Xmas last year. Had a ball, and the kids really got into it. I described the tree as Barbie meets Boogie Nights. I am purchasing a special decoration the kids choose each year, so our sentimental and precious types eventually outweigh the cheesy and cheap variety. x

Anonymous said...

I love the clock faces idea!

AddThis Smart Layers