Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Thursday, August 12, 2010

Splash back uncertainty!!!

Well my dream kitchen is all on the drawing board & the floor tiles chosen...

hhbradys ideabook kitchen eclectic kitchen

Turns out I have expensive tastes, with Shaker style being in the expensive choice range, Oh well!!!


The kitchen guy was fabulous, the tile guy was extremely helpful & my dream guy was so well behaved, Ive never loved him more xxx


I am hoping to have sea grass or bamboo blinds in my kitchen, something like these ones...

Images via Cotedetexas

My dream guy loved all of my ideas & added a few very good suggestions of his own. We selected tiles for inside & outside, designed a kitchen, laundry & vanities, without one single disagreement.
AMAZING!!!!

The colours aren't so good in this image, but this is a sample of our floor tile, wall colour, kitchen door colour & ceaserstone bench tops.
 I want to paint my walls with
 Dulux-Hogs Bristle in quarter strength
The bench top is
Ceaser Stone-Ivory
The Shaker style Cabinets are a
 Classic White, semi gloss
The floor tiles are a shade darker than the bench top,
a sandy colour
I love the look of a white subway tile in a shaker style kitchen, BUT, I have gone for a 30cm x 60cm rectangular floor tile to be laid in a running bond or brick style pattern, essentially it is a giant subway tile on the floor & I feel it would be overkill to do the same on the back splash.
 I am thinking of perhaps just a plain glossy white square tile 10cm x 10cm, but I am unsure.
What do you think would look awesome. I want to do it in tile rather than a glass panel or matching ceaserstone  so I add some extra texture, hence the choice of a glossy tile. I have such a limited colour scheme I need to add some interest with the different textured finishes.

HELP!!!
Okay my fabulously stylish blog friends, your opinions & ideas are seriously required :0)

CHEERS
Trish xxx


15 comments:

melli said...

they all sound like a great idea..i have splash back glass in my kitchen and i love it,they are easy to clean and look fabulous,good luck with whatever you decide i'm sure it will look amazing either way xx

Paper Tree Studio said...

Your kitchen sounds wonderful!! And, no arguments - he must be a dream guy! Are you doing VJ walls? If you are maybe you could do a VJ style with the tiled splashback to blend in! I love the look of the subway tiles - you can get them in coloured glass - would this be different enough to the floor? Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Michelle

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

It all sounds gorgeous! Personally, I'd steer away from the square tiles - they can look a little dated. I do love the glass mosaic tiles, laid in a brick pattern, and there are lots of colours and sizes to choose from. A lovely mother-of-pearl finish would look sensational and still be neutral enough to go the distance. Good luck with it, and I can't wait to see the finished product! K xx

Anonymous said...

I don't think it would be overkill if the tiles on your splashback are a different tone or size. Repetition of elements is one of the key design elements, isn't it? I don't like what your're telling me here Trish...if you have expensive taste then so do I!Oh No! Back to the drawing board and laminate brochure for me! Keep us updated with what you decide.
X Briohny.

Life in the Country Lane said...

Im not going to be any help on the tile thing! - sorry, its all too many choices/styles/looks for me. I do have bamboo blinds in my kitchen/living area from freedom (very reasonably priced) and they look great. Good to hear the shopping trip was a success.
Rebecca x

Just Martha said...

Well done!! Looks great!! Wise to keep your colours simple because it might be tempting now, think about what it will be like in 5 years. Trust me, I grew up with a yellow kitchen......

Dream House Trish said...

I knew I could count on you guys, some great ideas there, I especially love the mother of pearl suggestion Kerri! Briohny, don't be discouraged our builder gave us a kitchen budget of $25,000 without appliances & we got a lot more for our money than we expected.
Cheers

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

I'm so excited for you and the new cooking place! I say any choice will come out beautiful. How can you go wrong with your taste? Your pics are superb...

MrsKT said...

Trish, I am no help on the splashback, but pleased to hear you have chosen everything and you could agree with your dream guy! Very excited for you :)

Unknown said...

Hey Trish, your colours are perfect and timeless and what a great kick off to your decision process....smoothly....
Have you thought about pressed tin?
http://www.heritageceilings.com.au/clients-images/Turnbull1.jpg
Check out this image and Katrina Chambers has it in her kitchen to look at also.
I like a small square tile. Simple but stylish...The small rectangle looks just as simple and stylish...
It really depends on feel.
Some of my tile suppliers are saying rectangle are on their way out again and some are saying they are as popular as ever so don't worry about 'in' or 'out'....its the look that you need to consider...

Cat said...

Love, love, love your inspirations photos...very dreamy indeed! Sorry I am not the person to ask about decisions...I am so very indecisive! However, it sounds not matter the direction you go, your kitchen will be lovely :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for setting me straight Trish! I can continue dremaing up big then! Phew!

Nattie said...

awww... I want a new kitchen too now :) Can't wait the see the finish kitchen! by the sounds of it, it will look amazing! x

Jenny said...

Hi Trish, glad all went well with Dream guy - phew! I like the idea of the pressed tin.

Limerick Mum said...

Hi, have just stumbled upon your blog. Think your colour scheme and brick bond floor tiles sound lovely.

Just a thought....do you actually need to decide on splash back tiles now or could you wait to see how your flooring looks and take the cue from that....(spoken like the ditherer I am!!)

Good luck with your project,

Mrs C xx

AddThis Smart Layers